Pride is a great hindrance to revival because it keeps people from seeking God. It can keep the unsaved from coming to Christ for salvation, it can keep the sick from coming to God for healing, it can keep the bound from coming to God for freedom……
Pride is an infectious and dangerous attitude that has crept into many churches today. It effects the decisions a person (leaders, members and attendees) make therefore, it can infect and effect an entire church.
Mark 7:20-23 NKJV
“And He said, “What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man.”
Pride comes from inside a person – from their heart. Within the body of Christ, pride manifests itself in various ways. Some are: division, critical spirits, gossip, mockery, self-satisfaction, quarrels, compliancy, and condemnation of other believers who do not believe as they do.
In some churches the leaders are so blinded by their pride that they think they have no need of God. While they may not express that attitude with their lips, they do with their actions. Everything they do is about their will, their plans, and their dreams, not God’s. They are so consumed with themselves that their thoughts and desires are far from God.
Psalm 10:4 NKJV
“The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts.”
What is pride?
Pride can be defined as:
excessive confidence or glorification in one’s self, possessions
giving ourselves the credit for something that God has accomplished.
taking the glory that belongs to God.
the opposite of humility.
an attempt to replace God.
a form of self-righteousness.
What does God think about pride?
God is very clear in His Word that pride is a sin. Pride is a sin and sin cannot enter into the presence of God, both here and in heaven.
Proverbs 8:13 NKJV
“The fear of the Lord is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate.”
Psalm 10:3-4 NKJV
“For the wicked boasts of his heart’s desire; He blesses the greedy and renounces the Lord. The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts.”
Proverbs 16:5 NKJV
“Everyone proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord; Though they join forces, none will go unpunished.”
Proverbs 16:18 NKJV
“Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.”
What are the consequences of pride?
Destruction ( in the church and in individual lives)
A spiritual fall
Not allowed in the presence of God.
Disregard, disrespect and disobedience to God.
It places stumbling blocks in front of people.
It keeps people from accepting Jesus Christ as Savior.
It will send a person to hell.
Guard against pride.
Proverbs 4:23 NKJV
“Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.”
Everyone must guard their heart against pride because pride will…
* keep someone from helping others because they think the other person doesn’t deserve help.
* keep someone from asking God ( or others) for forgiveness because they don’t feel that they were wrong.
* cause a person to boast or brag about what they have or what they have done.
* cause a person to take the credit ( or glory) for something that God has done.
* cause a person to think more of themselves than they should.
* will cause a person to become their own god. They begin to replace God with themselves.
* cause a person to do what they want (their own will) instead of what God wants.
* keep a person from rejoicing with others over blessings / promotions because they will feel like they deserved it more.
* keep a person from seeking God for answers, wisdom or knowledge because they think they have all the answers.
* keep a person from studying God’s Word because they think they know it all already.